Wednesday, February 29, 2012

A peaceful place, young artists and seafood stew: 27 Febbraio 2012

Another sunny and warm day is in the making!

After breakfast of Bar Charlie's ricotta filled pastry made by Franco, we go up top. Joey wants to show me a place she found on one of her walks.

It is a very peaceful courtyard shrine and a Norman looking church, Chiesa di S. Maria della Giummare (Church of Saint Maria under the sea).

We discovered Porta San Pietro then threaded our way back down along the old wall.

Back down at Piazza Friscia we found this passageway with tile work. Mosaics composed with fragments of tile, stone and glass from the sea. Up at the end of this Vicolo was a house in the side of the mountain, right in the main part of the city. Workmen were restoring a lower structure. Next time we come back we will have to see the results!

The park across from the Piazza was open so we decided to go in. I wanted to sit and sketch. Joey sat for a while and then went off walking.

While I was working a man stopped and we "talked" and I showed him my sketches. Then a group of four young people stopped. One sat up on the back of the bench and the other ones stood around. I showed them my sketches (and the photos of the finished ones with color, and told them how I did them) and learned they were art school students from Sciacca superior school (high school), Davide, Desiree, Giulia and Francesco. They asked questions and I tried to answer, but we certainly understood enough to make a connection. They are all ceramic majors. Desiree has relatives in the USA one in Brooklyn! Davide's father is a locale ceramiche artistiche and has a shop and studio across the Piazza. Davide gave me the name of "Re di Sicilia"! When Joey came back he took us over to his fathers shop. Lui e stato grazioso (He was charming). They all were! They were really wonderful young people! I am so glad to have met them and shared a moment in time with them. Joey took a picture of me with them that I will post on Facebook. Yes, they all have Facebook pages! Later we went back and met Davide's father Accursio at his shop whose work is molto bello. Bravo. Grazia!

Dinner tonight was a seafood stew with a mix of fresh seafood that Joey bought down here in the Porto. Another tasty dish!

Our time is now winding down here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your appropriate comments and questions.