Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The packing list and my aching back

This afternoon I made my first pass at packing "l' valigio" (suitcase maximum 50 lbs), my backpack and my satchel carry-ons.

This is a partial list of things I need to bring for our one month stay in Sciacca, Sicilia:

SICILIA 2012:

Binder with travel and apartment paperwork
Sciacca Map
Travel books
Language books

Picnic stuff

iPad (in hope that we can find WiFi)
iTouch (music)

Binoculars
Wine opener (note to self: move to top of list)
Travel bag

Medicines
First aid kit
Flashlight
Batteries
Umbrellas

TICKETS
PASSPORTS
DRIVERS LICENSE INTERNATIONAL (just in case)

ART SUPPLES: (Joey has her own list)

Canvas
Board
Paper separators
Glazing liquid
Glue
Brushes in tube
Other brushes
Mortar and pestle
Rags
Plastic bags
Sketch books
Pens
Pencils
Knife
Duct Tape
Plastic Tape
Markers
Drawing board (actually a piece of driftwood that found on Brier Island, Nova Scotia, that has been on trips to the west coast and Florida among various other local places)

CLOTHES: (my clothes, Joey has her own list, and "la grande" suitcase)

Painting clothes
Wool sweater
Other sweaters
Long sleeve shirts
Jeans
Slacks
Shorts
Underwear
T-shirts
Collar shirts
Socks
Jacket
Coat
Hat
Scarf
Shoes
Sandals

This is how it is going so far?

Remember we are using public transit to get from Canaan, CT, to JFK, to Palermo, to Sciacca, then walk to the apartment. So far I have 50lbs. of mostly art supplies! But really is that so bad? Well no if we actually knew where or if there is a laundromat, but that is still yet to be seen!

With the suitcase filled I then started filling the back pack until I remembered that there was still a wash in the dryer that needed to be sorted and included. Better hold off a bit. I still have a few more days.

I can see me now dragging "mio valigio" with a bandoliero of backpack and satchel across my shoulders dressed in two pairs of pants, three shirts, two sweaters, and an umbrella under my arm humping my way to Sicilia.

Wish me (and my back) luck.












1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to hear how well you did packing enough clothes for a month w/o going over 50lbs! Actually maybe I should ask Joey how she did. Women can be the fussiest of all packers!

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your appropriate comments and questions.